Brushing your teeth after every meal is not everything about oral hygiene, bringing us to the question, “What is oral hygiene?” Your mouth does a lot of work, such as talking and crushing food. So, it’s crucial to maintain proper oral hygiene to keep your teeth healthy and boost your confidence when speaking. Besides, it helps complement your smiles.
You don’t want bad breath to come from your mouth while talking to someone. It all starts with practicing good oral hygiene. For example, you can maintain oral hygiene by brushing and flossing your teeth daily. You can also schedule regular dental visits and eat healthy diets with essential nutrients for your gum health.
[bctt tweet=”What is oral hygiene? Learn what it is and the benefits of practicing good oral hygiene.” via=”no”]
Let’s look at what oral hygiene is and the benefits of practicing good dental hygiene.
What is Oral Hygiene?
Oral hygiene involves practices that help to keep the mouth clean and disease-free, such as brushing, flossing, and visiting a dentist regularly. You can also go for dental exams and cleaning at least twice annually to ensure good dental hygiene. The good thing about practicing oral hygiene is that it boosts your overall health and well-being.
Benefits of Practicing Good Oral Hygiene
Your dentist can help to repair teeth damaged by gum disease or decay. However, practicing good oral hygiene can prevent your teeth from getting damaged.
Here are the several benefits of maintaining proper dental hygiene.
- Provides fresher breath
- Reduces plaque buildup
- Guarantees a beautiful smile
- Ensures healthier teeth and gums
- Reduces the risk of developing oral cancer
- Lowers the risk of stroke, heart disease, and diabetes
- Reduces the need for dental works like crowns, fillings, and implants
Notably, preventive dental care is better than emergency or restorative dental care. So, good oral hygiene practices can save you time and money in the long run.
Basic Oral Hygiene Routine
Your mouth and teeth deserve to stay clean all the time to prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Thankfully, there are many ways to practice proper oral hygiene, including:
- Brush your teeth twice daily for at least two minutes using a fluoride toothpaste
- Floss daily to remove plaque from areas the toothbrush can’t reach. Use high-quality dental floss to make cleaning easy.
- Eat a healthy diet rich in nutrients that can help prevent gum disease. Examples of such nutrients are Vitamins A and C.
- Avoid smoking cigarettes and other forms of tobacco, which contribute much to oral cancer and gum disease.
- Visit a reputable dentist regularly for exams and cleanings, which is the most effective way to diagnose the early signs of gum disease.
So far, you can answer the question, “What is oral hygiene?” An excellent oral health routine is ideal for keeping your teeth and gums clean and disease-free. Most importantly, schedule regular exams and cleaning with a reputable dentist like Pasadena Health Center. We provide high-quality oral care services affordably.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment with our experienced dentists.